Skip to main content

I’m a Hustler Baby....

Both my Grandfathers were hustlers. They did what they had to do LEGALLY to take care of their families. Thirty five years ago my Papa told me while driving down I95 that when he was younger that was mostly dirt road and Jim Crow was in effect but he always drove to New York before he migrated up here from Murfreesboro, NC because “New York was where the money was at.” He used to let me listen in the car to ballads and LITE-FM on the way back home from the Bronx while I did my homework and wrote my stories because he said “whatever makes you write Kim.”

And you KNOW I forgot about the money Pop Pop gave me when that first Bell Atlantic check was taking too long and David needed pull-ups, Capri sun juice boxes and Happy Meals while I worked. I got my hair done too. Being the Father to thirteen kids, countless grands and great grands must of been stressful at times yet God was greater because he lived to be ninety three years old. Being married to Nana was a job in itself yet they loved us all equally and unconditionally. Halloween costumes, Christmas gifts, birthday parties, school events.

David came home from the hospital in the outfit that Nana bought him. She came strutting down the hallway in stiletto heels talking about “my great grandson has arrived” looking like a bag of money.I got to pick his birthday in advance and Uncle Poopa had just died and we called Nana from the hospital and she said “give him his own birthday pick the 1st” I was still walking around calling David “Aaron” and she was like “name that boy David after his father but give him our last name. See my Paternal Nana was born Betty Jenkins. My Maternal Papa’s name was Ed Lee Jenkins. Nana said we was destined to be Jenkins. WE ALL Jenkins EXCEPT J.J.....

Uncle Poopa’s birthday was May 3rd. HE was the ultimate Hustler shit I could write a tale about that man. He was a real life Donald Goines character. I was just old enough to see it in living color and young enough to still see it as all bliss. I’m SO grown now and REAL recognizes real I loved that man he gave me so much time, knowledge and support. I think he is why we are givers. He made sure everyone was always good. Rest well Uncle you, aunt Bessie, Mommy, Daddy, Aunt Sharon and Uncle Norman all together. I know y’all having a fabulous time. You always said our family was unique. T.J. is traveling the world and I’m right behind him.

The Tribe you surround your children with defines who they are. My Father demons and all was a real man. No matter what he was going through he loved and took care of us. And if he briefly couldn’t his family did. They still do. Helen is Granny and Papa meshed together in the body she has been taking care of all her life. Bert and Ebonis house is just like Baisley Blvd that’s why everyone LOVES it there....the MONEY for me is in my writing....a wise woman told me the other day that you can ALWAYS travel abroad with your children if it’s for WORK. This is my Blog Post but I hope it resonates with someone and you ANSWER your calling....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2026

  Healing comes in many forms. I can only speak for myself but setting firm boundaries and choosing not to engage works wonders. I literally see people’s names and recoil.  I always was making the effort. I’m not begging nobody to be in my life. I didn’t do nothing to nobody. JJ requires so MUCH of me. It’s funny because I realized just how much people don’t give AF when I stopped giving AF. I don’t CARE. If I NEVER spoke to some people again in LIFE  I will NEVER give AF. I laugh because life is so much easier without other people sh*t wearing you down. MAD out of NOWHERE. Creating FAKE conflict. Acting like yall not worried about ME but watch EVERYTHING I DO!  I raised a whole human being before I was forty. It was good and bad times but at least I can say I was present and didn’t give up. I tell a lot of jokes but I sleep good ever night behind my kids. I do. Can’t nobody make me feel BAD. Some of yall wanna dress like me, have my bubbly personality. Overcome adve...

Family Ties

When you are an overachiever, successful and KiND you can’t let people drain and drag you down because they can’t RELATE. It will change your personality because you will be on sets and in rooms that you don’t belong in.  Don’t you think I KNOW that if I was docile, submissive, subservient and STUPID what my life would be LIKE? Who I would of become? Where I would of ended up?  Until RECENTLY I HONESTLY was SCARED to TELL my STORY. I STILL wasn’t READY. But being at Auntie S’s beautiful home last Christmas and her pleading with me to WRITE our STORY with her beautiful, clear Doe looking eyes that mirror my Grendmothers I KNEW I had too. Nana used to look at me the SAME way.  Because my Uncle Sam who has ALWAYS had my BACK throughout my entire life whether it be OVERJOYED I was SKIPPING a GRADE. Helping  me write my business PLAN, letting me drive his BRAND new CAR for my road test and being the FIRST one in my FAMILY including my parents that I told I was pregnant wi...

Betty Baisley

 WCW I’m writing about my Grandmother for her birthday. The way she wanted me to when she was alive. The stories that my family attempt to elicit out of me. In 5th Grade I won the NYC Writing Contest based on an piece I wrote about Nana. I literally blocked it out guys ALL these years.  Not that  it was about her but the depth of the subject matter. It was the only time besides when Carlyn died and my Daddy that I really saw her cry HARD. Even now I feel like I am betraying her(I know for naught) Nothing fazed this WOMAN. To compensate for my deplorable handwriting God assigned me the gift of prose. Mommy was sooo elated. Ms. Rand too. It had been a HARD year for my family  I also have a great Memory and my paper Ms. Goldstein held on to it like Ms. Douglas and Ms. Kaplan and Karen Connors would later down the line. They always reread it over and over again and would look at me. When I feel weak and get tired of fighting the powers that be and who don’t BE I draw on ...