Skip to main content

From my Perspective

 If you are an African-American Autism Mom my good friend Chloe sent me an article from Essence Magazine spotlighting a Facebook Group B.A.M. (Black Autism Moms) and my inclusion has been a gamechanger. 


While the sole criteria is being a Black Mom of a child on the spectrum it in no way disrespects Mothers that have children that identify as African-American. It’s just a niche that has for so long been neglected. 


I feel like unfortunately as Black Women we are raised to be strong by nature and this journey we are on with Autism is not for the weak. With little support at times people just don’t understand or care that this is a daunting journey. 


With covid and the restrictions along with the rising costs in therapies and qualified caregivers especially in expensive cities we need a network of people who understand what you are going through. 


I really have a LOT on my PLATE trying to get my brick and mortar Event Venue opened. I’m doing this so my child will have something to INHERIT and generational wealth so I can afford him a life that is comparable to the one I gave his brother as a child. 


I volunteered to join the Parents Association and was elected Vice President because I want to be the voice for the voiceless. To make sure that as we slowly get back to our “new normal” his demographic isn’t overlooked with all of the changes that are going on in our CITY, our WORLD. 

That the services our children NEED are reimplemented because our predecessors worked so hard to secure them for the children. 


The reason why I love this group is because the MEMBERS know EXACTLY what I’m going THROUGH! Sometimes it’s just a small note we leave each other or just sending hugs. Or reading a post and being like “damn I’m not the ONLY one” 


I KNOW I make LIFE look easy. And in Ginny’s voice I live the life of Reilly. I’m thankful for my intelligence, tenacity and innate ability to make a WAY like my FATHER. But it’s so HARD doing EVERYTHING  and this is the HARDEST thing I have ever faced! And I’ve FACED a lot. But JJ is so DOPE and the best kid anyone can ask for. He’s Like a Sponge and has come so FAR. 


As I reflect on my 45 years on Earth I remember my Mother always telling me “you were born during a blackout and went to the other hospital by yourself” that was the hardest thing she had to do. Thats how I trust to send JJ outside every day. I keep stuff to MYSELF because people like to THROW things in your FACE and disrespect you. I’m being Candid because I KNOW what it’s like to HURT in SILENCE. To look like you have everything together yet actually JUGGLING. 


You aren’t alone 💙

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Ties

When you are an overachiever, successful and KiND you can’t let people drain and drag you down because they can’t RELATE. It will change your personality because you will be on sets and in rooms that you don’t belong in.  Don’t you think I KNOW that if I was docile, submissive, subservient and STUPID what my life would be LIKE? Who I would of become? Where I would of ended up?  Until RECENTLY I HONESTLY was SCARED to TELL my STORY. I STILL wasn’t READY. But being at Auntie S’s beautiful home last Christmas and her pleading with me to WRITE our STORY with her beautiful, clear Doe looking eyes that mirror my Grendmothers I KNEW I had too. Nana used to look at me the SAME way.  Because my Uncle Sam who has ALWAYS had my BACK throughout my entire life whether it be OVERJOYED I was SKIPPING a GRADE. Helping  me write my business PLAN, letting me drive his BRAND new CAR for my road test and being the FIRST one in my FAMILY including my parents that I told I was pregnant with DAVID. At Uncle

Betty Baisley

 As I write but more importantly LIVE I THANK y’all for letting me sit in the front of the bus and listen to music with y’all when I stilll could hear. Papa used to turn the music up real loud for me too on the way to his customers to make his deliveries.  For keeping me in Ms, Goldstein’s class knowing I may have needed a different environment. For coming to my first day of Junior High school (albeit afterschool WHO does that?) For pressing my hair SO GOOD the first day of Martin. For telling me that Brooklyn Tech was a memory (I got waitlisted and didn’t want to go to Summer School to get in because I didn’t want to go there and NANA and GRANNY knew it! ) To not beat myself up over it. (Mommy is STILL MAD in Heaven❤️) To standing outside Martin with Aunt Colette and Mommy because the girls didn’t like me but the boys did!  The most important lesson I learned was to put ME FIRST! NANA you loved us ALL independently and individually. You made sure we had toiletries, pens to do homework

South Side we OUTSIDE

 I haven’t been bothering ANYONE I stay to myself and take care of my child and my business! I saw two GORGEOUS apartments in NY that wasn’t the right fit for JJ and I. With Aunt Colette and Ms. May because no matter WHAT they have going ON they GOT me! So in ONE WEEK I have set in place the steps to for THE FIRST TIME in my LIFE do exactly WTF I WANNA do! It’s so LIBERATING!  I’m not letting NOBODY stress me OUT! Y’all can HAVE that! I’m JJ’s EVERYTHING! I’m such a GOOD MOTHER! BOTH TIMES! I ask GOD EVERY day to give me the strength to keep moving! Y’all don’t KNOW what I go through!  I don’t care WHO TALK about ME!  I don’t CARE! I always did! I always respect people that don’t respect me! I love who I LOVE! SO! I LISTEN and act RIGHT too! I co-sign on EVERYTHING y’all do! I give the fresh perspective, advice when solicited because WHO AM I TO JUDGE!  I’m so HAPPY and PROUD of myself! My Sister and I are a TAG TEAM! My FAMILY is AMAZING and Nana and Pop Pop didn’t CARE if anyone thou