Skip to main content

Grandzol Strong

In the day and age we live in, in the current State of Our Union it’s very hard to have empathy for a stranger and human kindness isn’t flowing...September 2017 I was at a point in my life where regardless of how hard I attempted to be a decent human being other people’s choices and ramifications continually and unceremoniously invaded my EVERYTHING. Who would of thought that one news story could have such an affect on not only my family but countless others as well...

I’ll never forget I was in the family room at Eboni’s house making sure that J.J. didn’t keep turning the television on and off. The news was on. Delaware and Philly are neighbors like the Ricardo’s and the Mertz’s. That night the only thing I saw was the car and the crime scene. I really wasn’t paying attention my thoughts were elsewhere. My cousins baby shower was coming up and had been switched from Saturday to Sunday to accommodate my new schedule as I am a Godmother and I was disgusted.

The next day I believe it was Yahoo news on my old phone that ran the story. Jermaine Jr. and I were on our way home and he was asleep in my arms. The picture of Kristen being comforted by her neighbors the next morning was what I saw. As a hearing impaired person I “SEE” what others may not pick up. I rely on my sight to convey what others may hear. I will see a dog running at me before you can hear it bark. That saved my baby and I from harm in the past. I saw a woman completely and utterly broken. I saw a Caucasian woman being cradled by an kind and loving African-American woman. I saw a strapping, handsome and mature African-American man with silent tears who had aged so much in the past twelve hours. I saw a community in shock, hurt and dazed. It was sad.

After I read the story about how Gerry was tragically killed in front of his home in a carjacking gone horrifically wrong trying to save his oldest daughter I cried. I cried because my Daddy would of done the same thing for me. I shared with David what happened to him and he was sad as well because this was so messed up on so many levels.

I reached out to Kristen on social media to offer my condolences. I told her MY Story and what I had been through in my life and to count her blessings and not her burdens. That I didn’t know WHY it happened and that it was one of the saddest things that ever could of happened and grieve YES but you cannot let it consume you because your babies need you. Her Flowers Rose and Violet continue to bloom. That she was blessed to have him as her partner and that the best thing she could do to honor his memory was to be the best Mother to his babies she possibly can. To make sure that she gets justice for him. To be the Virtuous Woman that he loved and adored. That he is at peace because he knew his kids will he alright. I even told some jokes because I wanted her to laugh a little.

A few days passed and she responded back to me. It’s nothing like my gender to uplift each other. I wanted to share my story with her not for her to pity me but for her to KNOW that no one pity’s her. I’m deaf and raise my baby by myself my oldest is grown. If I can do it anyone can. David and I received bracelets from the Grandzol family honoring Gerry’s life. He wears his every day. I put mine up for Jermaine.

When you learn about Gerald Grandzol you know the things that are being said aren’t just the polite things you say about someone when they pass away. He was a great person. They existed my Mother was one of them as well. Everyone that encountered them came away feeling better from the experience. I like to believe they sit in a corner of Heaven together wearing crazy socks and cute sneakers, smiling, happy and at peace that the four children between us are healthy and happy and that Kristin and I are living for them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Ties

When you are an overachiever, successful and KiND you can’t let people drain and drag you down because they can’t RELATE. It will change your personality because you will be on sets and in rooms that you don’t belong in.  Don’t you think I KNOW that if I was docile, submissive, subservient and STUPID what my life would be LIKE? Who I would of become? Where I would of ended up?  Until RECENTLY I HONESTLY was SCARED to TELL my STORY. I STILL wasn’t READY. But being at Auntie S’s beautiful home last Christmas and her pleading with me to WRITE our STORY with her beautiful, clear Doe looking eyes that mirror my Grendmothers I KNEW I had too. Nana used to look at me the SAME way.  Because my Uncle Sam who has ALWAYS had my BACK throughout my entire life whether it be OVERJOYED I was SKIPPING a GRADE. Helping  me write my business PLAN, letting me drive his BRAND new CAR for my road test and being the FIRST one in my FAMILY including my parents that I told I was pregnant with DAVID. At Uncle

Betty Baisley

 As I write but more importantly LIVE I THANK y’all for letting me sit in the front of the bus and listen to music with y’all when I stilll could hear. Papa used to turn the music up real loud for me too on the way to his customers to make his deliveries.  For keeping me in Ms, Goldstein’s class knowing I may have needed a different environment. For coming to my first day of Junior High school (albeit afterschool WHO does that?) For pressing my hair SO GOOD the first day of Martin. For telling me that Brooklyn Tech was a memory (I got waitlisted and didn’t want to go to Summer School to get in because I didn’t want to go there and NANA and GRANNY knew it! ) To not beat myself up over it. (Mommy is STILL MAD in Heaven❤️) To standing outside Martin with Aunt Colette and Mommy because the girls didn’t like me but the boys did!  The most important lesson I learned was to put ME FIRST! NANA you loved us ALL independently and individually. You made sure we had toiletries, pens to do homework

South Side we OUTSIDE

 I haven’t been bothering ANYONE I stay to myself and take care of my child and my business! I saw two GORGEOUS apartments in NY that wasn’t the right fit for JJ and I. With Aunt Colette and Ms. May because no matter WHAT they have going ON they GOT me! So in ONE WEEK I have set in place the steps to for THE FIRST TIME in my LIFE do exactly WTF I WANNA do! It’s so LIBERATING!  I’m not letting NOBODY stress me OUT! Y’all can HAVE that! I’m JJ’s EVERYTHING! I’m such a GOOD MOTHER! BOTH TIMES! I ask GOD EVERY day to give me the strength to keep moving! Y’all don’t KNOW what I go through!  I don’t care WHO TALK about ME!  I don’t CARE! I always did! I always respect people that don’t respect me! I love who I LOVE! SO! I LISTEN and act RIGHT too! I co-sign on EVERYTHING y’all do! I give the fresh perspective, advice when solicited because WHO AM I TO JUDGE!  I’m so HAPPY and PROUD of myself! My Sister and I are a TAG TEAM! My FAMILY is AMAZING and Nana and Pop Pop didn’t CARE if anyone thou