Skip to main content

Grandzol Strong

In the day and age we live in, in the current State of Our Union it’s very hard to have empathy for a stranger and human kindness isn’t flowing...September 2017 I was at a point in my life where regardless of how hard I attempted to be a decent human being other people’s choices and ramifications continually and unceremoniously invaded my EVERYTHING. Who would of thought that one news story could have such an affect on not only my family but countless others as well...

I’ll never forget I was in the family room at Eboni’s house making sure that J.J. didn’t keep turning the television on and off. The news was on. Delaware and Philly are neighbors like the Ricardo’s and the Mertz’s. That night the only thing I saw was the car and the crime scene. I really wasn’t paying attention my thoughts were elsewhere. My cousins baby shower was coming up and had been switched from Saturday to Sunday to accommodate my new schedule as I am a Godmother and I was disgusted.

The next day I believe it was Yahoo news on my old phone that ran the story. Jermaine Jr. and I were on our way home and he was asleep in my arms. The picture of Kristen being comforted by her neighbors the next morning was what I saw. As a hearing impaired person I “SEE” what others may not pick up. I rely on my sight to convey what others may hear. I will see a dog running at me before you can hear it bark. That saved my baby and I from harm in the past. I saw a woman completely and utterly broken. I saw a Caucasian woman being cradled by an kind and loving African-American woman. I saw a strapping, handsome and mature African-American man with silent tears who had aged so much in the past twelve hours. I saw a community in shock, hurt and dazed. It was sad.

After I read the story about how Gerry was tragically killed in front of his home in a carjacking gone horrifically wrong trying to save his oldest daughter I cried. I cried because my Daddy would of done the same thing for me. I shared with David what happened to him and he was sad as well because this was so messed up on so many levels.

I reached out to Kristen on social media to offer my condolences. I told her MY Story and what I had been through in my life and to count her blessings and not her burdens. That I didn’t know WHY it happened and that it was one of the saddest things that ever could of happened and grieve YES but you cannot let it consume you because your babies need you. Her Flowers Rose and Violet continue to bloom. That she was blessed to have him as her partner and that the best thing she could do to honor his memory was to be the best Mother to his babies she possibly can. To make sure that she gets justice for him. To be the Virtuous Woman that he loved and adored. That he is at peace because he knew his kids will he alright. I even told some jokes because I wanted her to laugh a little.

A few days passed and she responded back to me. It’s nothing like my gender to uplift each other. I wanted to share my story with her not for her to pity me but for her to KNOW that no one pity’s her. I’m deaf and raise my baby by myself my oldest is grown. If I can do it anyone can. David and I received bracelets from the Grandzol family honoring Gerry’s life. He wears his every day. I put mine up for Jermaine.

When you learn about Gerald Grandzol you know the things that are being said aren’t just the polite things you say about someone when they pass away. He was a great person. They existed my Mother was one of them as well. Everyone that encountered them came away feeling better from the experience. I like to believe they sit in a corner of Heaven together wearing crazy socks and cute sneakers, smiling, happy and at peace that the four children between us are healthy and happy and that Kristin and I are living for them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2026

  Healing comes in many forms. I can only speak for myself but setting firm boundaries and choosing not to engage works wonders. I literally see people’s names and recoil.  I always was making the effort. I’m not begging nobody to be in my life. I didn’t do nothing to nobody. JJ requires so MUCH of me. It’s funny because I realized just how much people don’t give AF when I stopped giving AF. I don’t CARE. If I NEVER spoke to some people again in LIFE  I will NEVER give AF. I laugh because life is so much easier without other people sh*t wearing you down. MAD out of NOWHERE. Creating FAKE conflict. Acting like yall not worried about ME but watch EVERYTHING I DO!  I raised a whole human being before I was forty. It was good and bad times but at least I can say I was present and didn’t give up. I tell a lot of jokes but I sleep good ever night behind my kids. I do. Can’t nobody make me feel BAD. Some of yall wanna dress like me, have my bubbly personality. Overcome adve...

Family Ties

When you are an overachiever, successful and KiND you can’t let people drain and drag you down because they can’t RELATE. It will change your personality because you will be on sets and in rooms that you don’t belong in.  Don’t you think I KNOW that if I was docile, submissive, subservient and STUPID what my life would be LIKE? Who I would of become? Where I would of ended up?  Until RECENTLY I HONESTLY was SCARED to TELL my STORY. I STILL wasn’t READY. But being at Auntie S’s beautiful home last Christmas and her pleading with me to WRITE our STORY with her beautiful, clear Doe looking eyes that mirror my Grendmothers I KNEW I had too. Nana used to look at me the SAME way.  Because my Uncle Sam who has ALWAYS had my BACK throughout my entire life whether it be OVERJOYED I was SKIPPING a GRADE. Helping  me write my business PLAN, letting me drive his BRAND new CAR for my road test and being the FIRST one in my FAMILY including my parents that I told I was pregnant wi...

Betty Baisley

 WCW I’m writing about my Grandmother for her birthday. The way she wanted me to when she was alive. The stories that my family attempt to elicit out of me. In 5th Grade I won the NYC Writing Contest based on an piece I wrote about Nana. I literally blocked it out guys ALL these years.  Not that  it was about her but the depth of the subject matter. It was the only time besides when Carlyn died and my Daddy that I really saw her cry HARD. Even now I feel like I am betraying her(I know for naught) Nothing fazed this WOMAN. To compensate for my deplorable handwriting God assigned me the gift of prose. Mommy was sooo elated. Ms. Rand too. It had been a HARD year for my family  I also have a great Memory and my paper Ms. Goldstein held on to it like Ms. Douglas and Ms. Kaplan and Karen Connors would later down the line. They always reread it over and over again and would look at me. When I feel weak and get tired of fighting the powers that be and who don’t BE I draw on ...