Skip to main content

You’ve Got Mail

When we were driving home last night I was thinking about Mommy as we passed her old job the post office. When she was off and we drove by anyone that was working their shift she would say “Hey Audrey, Hey Brina, Hey Jeanie....”my friends (Michael, Daniele, Kim, Vicky you know my REAL friends) KNOW when we went on trips I would say “my Mother works here”

I worked there when David was little and I hated it! I would be so LATE so they could fire me-they even had a meeting that I walked into LATE about my ASS. The supervisors were looking at the bitches that was complaining like” that’s Gwen’s Daughter GTFOH with that BS! i used to go inside and sit in the cage with Aunt Jeanie for hours. They let me work like 14 hours a day. I bust my ass for the first 8 and then would go walk around with Mommy or somebody lol. Sit in the cafeteria with Aunt Stephanie...

My Mother worked nights so her holiday started early...my Mother worked overtime for 2 months straight EVERY year m, EVERY day so that’s HOW no MATTER what we ALWAYS had all that shit for Christmas and she bought everyone SOMETHING...Nana would be like “wind it down-Gwen has to go to work...she would be pissed but she went-Uncle James got us home safe last night and Mommy had to be to work by 11 and he passed by at 10:35....she would of made it....

33 years of service  from 18 to 51....they wouldn’t let her drive the mail trucks even though she got her CDL and rocked that shit because she was a WOMAN back in the days and it broke her heart to be discriminated against but she kept it moving -but they take care of their OWN so that last job working in the vault with her own secretary was her mea culpa...yeah she had the highest seniority when she bid it but it made ALL the cold nights, early mornings and being there SICK worth it...she held on so long at the end to work there she used to laugh and say “I could do this until I’m 90”

There’s a transportation company that’s built strategically in front of building 250 so you can’t see the Post office anymore from Rockaway Turnpike...she started off at the old location and moved there in the early 80s...she got so MANY people jobs....I can’t see building 250 anymore but just like MOMMY it’s still there....

Ma I can’t ask YOU or Daddy when I started talking if it was closer to 3 or 4 but Auntie Helen, Aunts Colette and Aunt Jetaun REMEMBER because they were THERE! Jermaine is going to BE OK no matter WHAT! I KNOW you love me so much even from Heaven....I know you put up with SO MUCH because you had to go to WORK and he HELPED you! Our life wasn’t perfect but it was GOOD! BOTH your daughters turned out GREAT! It was 20 of us this weekend Mommy Nana must of been beaming 🙏🏾Your grandkids love and miss you but you know they are STARS so whatever life hands them they make that shit look GOOD....

This weekend I woke up halfway through a LONG sleep... JJ was SAFE because Kazia put him to BED, ALL the doors were LOCKED for him 😢and I looked up and Amber, Eboni, and Court was laughing hysterically at the table....the THREE voices I ALWAYS HEAR 😢Aunt Colette was walking towards me dancing beckoning me to get up...I smiled and went back to sleep...I got the best REST so you REST ok... YOU taught me to WRITE like THIS-YOU taught me to LOVE like this but ABOVE ALL YOU taught me that GOD sees ME-how many times did you PRAY for me to TALK??? YOU never told me to shut up until the LAST ambulance ride because of the BABY(JJ) Sharon helps me with JJ SO MUCH Ma as YOU can SEE so you tell Ms. Scottie I’m a help her with THIS💪🏾I love you Ginny....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Ties

When you are an overachiever, successful and KiND you can’t let people drain and drag you down because they can’t RELATE. It will change your personality because you will be on sets and in rooms that you don’t belong in.  Don’t you think I KNOW that if I was docile, submissive, subservient and STUPID what my life would be LIKE? Who I would of become? Where I would of ended up?  Until RECENTLY I HONESTLY was SCARED to TELL my STORY. I STILL wasn’t READY. But being at Auntie S’s beautiful home last Christmas and her pleading with me to WRITE our STORY with her beautiful, clear Doe looking eyes that mirror my Grendmothers I KNEW I had too. Nana used to look at me the SAME way.  Because my Uncle Sam who has ALWAYS had my BACK throughout my entire life whether it be OVERJOYED I was SKIPPING a GRADE. Helping  me write my business PLAN, letting me drive his BRAND new CAR for my road test and being the FIRST one in my FAMILY including my parents that I told I was pregnant with DAVID. At Uncle

Betty Baisley

 As I write but more importantly LIVE I THANK y’all for letting me sit in the front of the bus and listen to music with y’all when I stilll could hear. Papa used to turn the music up real loud for me too on the way to his customers to make his deliveries.  For keeping me in Ms, Goldstein’s class knowing I may have needed a different environment. For coming to my first day of Junior High school (albeit afterschool WHO does that?) For pressing my hair SO GOOD the first day of Martin. For telling me that Brooklyn Tech was a memory (I got waitlisted and didn’t want to go to Summer School to get in because I didn’t want to go there and NANA and GRANNY knew it! ) To not beat myself up over it. (Mommy is STILL MAD in Heaven❤️) To standing outside Martin with Aunt Colette and Mommy because the girls didn’t like me but the boys did!  The most important lesson I learned was to put ME FIRST! NANA you loved us ALL independently and individually. You made sure we had toiletries, pens to do homework

South Side we OUTSIDE

 I haven’t been bothering ANYONE I stay to myself and take care of my child and my business! I saw two GORGEOUS apartments in NY that wasn’t the right fit for JJ and I. With Aunt Colette and Ms. May because no matter WHAT they have going ON they GOT me! So in ONE WEEK I have set in place the steps to for THE FIRST TIME in my LIFE do exactly WTF I WANNA do! It’s so LIBERATING!  I’m not letting NOBODY stress me OUT! Y’all can HAVE that! I’m JJ’s EVERYTHING! I’m such a GOOD MOTHER! BOTH TIMES! I ask GOD EVERY day to give me the strength to keep moving! Y’all don’t KNOW what I go through!  I don’t care WHO TALK about ME!  I don’t CARE! I always did! I always respect people that don’t respect me! I love who I LOVE! SO! I LISTEN and act RIGHT too! I co-sign on EVERYTHING y’all do! I give the fresh perspective, advice when solicited because WHO AM I TO JUDGE!  I’m so HAPPY and PROUD of myself! My Sister and I are a TAG TEAM! My FAMILY is AMAZING and Nana and Pop Pop didn’t CARE if anyone thou