Skip to main content

Dear Mama



My Mother passed away 7 years ago this WEEK and it’s really difficult because it’s very close to her birthday so this is a melancholy (Nana’s favorite word) time for me....


I thank GOD for my FAMILY! They have my back, front and sides and this weekend let me RELAX for a minute. We took JJ to the Festival and he enjoyed himself and then celebrated Eboni’s birthday and even though she and Bert have their OWN 3 kids  EVERYTHING be about JJ even Nani was like “I got him” and pushed him ALL day on the swings and that’s Angel and Virgens daughter who’s like 6 months older I think lol. 


When my Mother died I KNOW she KNEW Aunt Colette was going to BE just like she is to me EVERYTHING. NOBODY can take your PLACE Ginny but AUNTIE and Aunt Colette DO things just like you COLLECTIVELY. Aunt Darlene, Aunt Rosalie, Auntie S. (“Don’t SING/RAP it Kim SPEAK it) Shewana, TATILLA ,Titis Vanessa and Lisy, Rita, Talitha, Jaime and Jami, ALL the KIDS....AND Uncle James gonna always get us HOME safe. Uncle Ron is going to ALWAYS make sure we have what we need because he’s bringing it to ME...Uncle Sam is ALWAYS gonna CHECK my Homework 💪🏾and Rindy is going to ALWAYS talk some sense into me LITERALLY at times. 


This year is SO different because Gary is GONE. But you KNOW Tab(you and Daddy’s Fav) lives in AZ so we made plans and I’m thankful for the connections I forged in my life. You had some GREAT friends. I’m a go see your best one with God’s Grace. I may be 16 years late but I’m a make it....


She ALWAYS told me “Trust HIM Kim” and I DO! HE KNOWS the plans He has for ME. I miss you both so much but You were not a CRIER! You were the most independent, unapologetic and BEST Mother I have EVER MET. 


I digress-I’m so READY for Spoken word-The fact that you were telling me to do it since “Love Jones” came out just makes it even more poignant..I MISS you so MUCH and I promised Bert no TEARS but I’m SMILING through them because my baby that you handed me from Heaven with a kiss and a smile said “turn it off” tonight soooo.....❤️❤️❤️ #ChessNotCheckers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2026

  Healing comes in many forms. I can only speak for myself but setting firm boundaries and choosing not to engage works wonders. I literally see people’s names and recoil.  I always was making the effort. I’m not begging nobody to be in my life. I didn’t do nothing to nobody. JJ requires so MUCH of me. It’s funny because I realized just how much people don’t give AF when I stopped giving AF. I don’t CARE. If I NEVER spoke to some people again in LIFE  I will NEVER give AF. I laugh because life is so much easier without other people sh*t wearing you down. MAD out of NOWHERE. Creating FAKE conflict. Acting like yall not worried about ME but watch EVERYTHING I DO!  I raised a whole human being before I was forty. It was good and bad times but at least I can say I was present and didn’t give up. I tell a lot of jokes but I sleep good ever night behind my kids. I do. Can’t nobody make me feel BAD. Some of yall wanna dress like me, have my bubbly personality. Overcome adve...

Family Ties

When you are an overachiever, successful and KiND you can’t let people drain and drag you down because they can’t RELATE. It will change your personality because you will be on sets and in rooms that you don’t belong in.  Don’t you think I KNOW that if I was docile, submissive, subservient and STUPID what my life would be LIKE? Who I would of become? Where I would of ended up?  Until RECENTLY I HONESTLY was SCARED to TELL my STORY. I STILL wasn’t READY. But being at Auntie S’s beautiful home last Christmas and her pleading with me to WRITE our STORY with her beautiful, clear Doe looking eyes that mirror my Grendmothers I KNEW I had too. Nana used to look at me the SAME way.  Because my Uncle Sam who has ALWAYS had my BACK throughout my entire life whether it be OVERJOYED I was SKIPPING a GRADE. Helping  me write my business PLAN, letting me drive his BRAND new CAR for my road test and being the FIRST one in my FAMILY including my parents that I told I was pregnant wi...

Betty Baisley

 WCW I’m writing about my Grandmother for her birthday. The way she wanted me to when she was alive. The stories that my family attempt to elicit out of me. In 5th Grade I won the NYC Writing Contest based on an piece I wrote about Nana. I literally blocked it out guys ALL these years.  Not that  it was about her but the depth of the subject matter. It was the only time besides when Carlyn died and my Daddy that I really saw her cry HARD. Even now I feel like I am betraying her(I know for naught) Nothing fazed this WOMAN. To compensate for my deplorable handwriting God assigned me the gift of prose. Mommy was sooo elated. Ms. Rand too. It had been a HARD year for my family  I also have a great Memory and my paper Ms. Goldstein held on to it like Ms. Douglas and Ms. Kaplan and Karen Connors would later down the line. They always reread it over and over again and would look at me. When I feel weak and get tired of fighting the powers that be and who don’t BE I draw on ...