Skip to main content

It's a Wonderful Life

My week started out amazing. I was going to see my Goddaughter Angelica Baisley in Delaware. I synchronized my Christmas wish list with my reality. I was going to get my hair braided. I was going to go to a movie theatre with captioning with Mo and dinner without my kids for once. I then came down with strep throat.

When you are hearing impaired you feel everything more acutely. To say I was not feeling well was an understatement. I did everything-tea, gargling with salt water, rest and finally I knew before the doctor confirmed it that this was bad. Besides some contraction worthy cramps now and then this is like the second time I have been sick since Jermaine was born. I'm thankful for my baby's patience and understanding. The show must go on.  Mommy can't stop, won't stop.....(in my Puffy voice)

Anyhoo last night "It's A Wonderful Life" was on. In 2015 I refused to watch it. Last year was a blur I don't really remember anything about the holidays. I caught the last twenty minutes. I have seen this movie about three hundred times. Years ago before cable, streaming, satellites, and greed we were able to enjoy things for free. This movie would come on every channel all day. Now you have to get in where you fit in. I digress-this was my Granny AND my Mother's favorite movie. It always brought tears to Mommy's eyes and you know Mommy didn't cry about much.

I felt like she was sitting right next to me. It was the part where they are all in the living room counting the money. Where George is seeing his family for the first time after his experience. George lost his hearing saving Harry at the pond a fact that my Mother would look at me every time that part played. My favorite part is when Harry toasts George and calls him the richest guy in town. Possessions are just that possessions. I stopped smoking cigarettes because I have been smoking on and off since I was fourteen years old. I have a toddler who depends on me for everything. I must live to help him grow up. I have to make the right choices.

To watch that movie with J.J. felt so good. I wonder if  Philip Van Doren Stern knew when he wrote "The Greatest Gift" (which he self published) that it would turn into this iconic film directed by Frank Capra. Did Jimmy Stewart and all the others KNOW that barring an apocalypse they will live on through time immortalized. Everything we create, speak into existence and encourage has consequences. Negative or positive it all depends on the role we play.

As I type my kids are running around laughing. My Parents live on to enjoy another holiday season. Nana told me years ago that whenever times got hard in my life to remember I came from her and that she created her family. I'm thankful for all the wonderful people in my life. I am so thankful we grew up the way we did. I got lost for so long trying to be everything to everybody. I feel like 2017 was a defining year because it truly made me appreciate all I take for granted. I am blessed and highly favored as are each of you. Don't ever sell yourself short you are doing the best you can. Reflect on where you've been and where you're going. Also take a moment and just LIVE in the moment-it's a wonderful life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2026

  Healing comes in many forms. I can only speak for myself but setting firm boundaries and choosing not to engage works wonders. I literally see people’s names and recoil.  I always was making the effort. I’m not begging nobody to be in my life. I didn’t do nothing to nobody. JJ requires so MUCH of me. It’s funny because I realized just how much people don’t give AF when I stopped giving AF. I don’t CARE. If I NEVER spoke to some people again in LIFE  I will NEVER give AF. I laugh because life is so much easier without other people sh*t wearing you down. MAD out of NOWHERE. Creating FAKE conflict. Acting like yall not worried about ME but watch EVERYTHING I DO!  I raised a whole human being before I was forty. It was good and bad times but at least I can say I was present and didn’t give up. I tell a lot of jokes but I sleep good ever night behind my kids. I do. Can’t nobody make me feel BAD. Some of yall wanna dress like me, have my bubbly personality. Overcome adve...

Family Ties

When you are an overachiever, successful and KiND you can’t let people drain and drag you down because they can’t RELATE. It will change your personality because you will be on sets and in rooms that you don’t belong in.  Don’t you think I KNOW that if I was docile, submissive, subservient and STUPID what my life would be LIKE? Who I would of become? Where I would of ended up?  Until RECENTLY I HONESTLY was SCARED to TELL my STORY. I STILL wasn’t READY. But being at Auntie S’s beautiful home last Christmas and her pleading with me to WRITE our STORY with her beautiful, clear Doe looking eyes that mirror my Grendmothers I KNEW I had too. Nana used to look at me the SAME way.  Because my Uncle Sam who has ALWAYS had my BACK throughout my entire life whether it be OVERJOYED I was SKIPPING a GRADE. Helping  me write my business PLAN, letting me drive his BRAND new CAR for my road test and being the FIRST one in my FAMILY including my parents that I told I was pregnant wi...

Betty Baisley

 WCW I’m writing about my Grandmother for her birthday. The way she wanted me to when she was alive. The stories that my family attempt to elicit out of me. In 5th Grade I won the NYC Writing Contest based on an piece I wrote about Nana. I literally blocked it out guys ALL these years.  Not that  it was about her but the depth of the subject matter. It was the only time besides when Carlyn died and my Daddy that I really saw her cry HARD. Even now I feel like I am betraying her(I know for naught) Nothing fazed this WOMAN. To compensate for my deplorable handwriting God assigned me the gift of prose. Mommy was sooo elated. Ms. Rand too. It had been a HARD year for my family  I also have a great Memory and my paper Ms. Goldstein held on to it like Ms. Douglas and Ms. Kaplan and Karen Connors would later down the line. They always reread it over and over again and would look at me. When I feel weak and get tired of fighting the powers that be and who don’t BE I draw on ...