Skip to main content

Your Calling




Life has a way of showing you what matters. When I was employed in Telecommunications we used to joke that we were the "readers" who always took over the task in school. I worked in sales from my teenage years. It started selling makeovers and Glamour shots in Green Acres Mall. The phone part was honed being a call taker at the cab stand with Baby Daddy #1. I excelled at new line installations in Queens because I knew all the addresses. The late Kevin Brown taught me so much about our hometown during those times. They REALLY were the GOOD old days. I also worked at an Online Betting Company. That was the greatest job! It was so easy-like selling a blind person a map-the clients loved me but it was inconvenient and I couldn't continue the commute.


I HATED working in the Post Office. I tried to be grateful for the experience. I loved working with my Mother and PLAY Aunties. I know that it provided for me throughout my childhood and beyond yet it wasn't an ideal setting for me. Anyone employed by the United States Postal Service I salute you. It wasn't for me-not a GOOD look at ALL. God Bless you.

The best part of working at Verizon was being the Employee Resource Group chair for my work location. I almost had forgotten all the things I accomplished until I updated my LinkedIn page recently. The Toy and School supply drives, partnering with the Domestic Violence Shelter, delivering the toys in the snow to the school with Joseph Hochhauser as Santa Claus. He had political aspirations as well and ran for City Council in his district. He and his wife believed in my dedication to service so much and wanted me to be a public servant I now believe more than I did. The donations for the Walk-for-Hearing and Hearing Loss Association my former employer gave so generously touched me. ANYTHING related to the PTA they matched and supported as well.  I also enjoyed being Public Service Commission supervisor. It really expanded my mind. It made my tenor at a job that wasn't an ideal fit for me-yet provided a life for my son so worth ALL I experienced and endured. With age and time comes wisdom. Some things are meant to be for a season.

But writing-writing has always made me feel so complete. When I was around four or five years old my maternal grandparents gave me an orange book that was either my Mother's or Aunt Helen's. I can't remember which one. It was from their high school years and it had literature and mathematics combined. That book is how I learned to read at four years old. Granny, Auntie Helen, Aunt Jetaun, Aunt Colette, Shawana TAUGHT me I REMEMBER that!  I tell a lot of jokes but I REALLY told Kimberly Smith (Kim S.) when we were little that I DON'T NEED MATH I'm going to be a writer. Now we ALL know I can count MONEY but ANYTHING other than the basics I never gravitated towards. I'm okay with that. Really I am. I just have another child and here we go again lol.

Your calling can be ANYTHING that sets your soul on fire. I'm a salesperson so editing and publishing my book is exciting but marketing it and actually sharing it with the public is what is the real thrill of it ALL. I had written this book over the years in my mind. Forty years of memories, experiences, journeys, milestones, heartbreaks, adventures and acceptance led me to today. I am so FOCUSED. My son is my best friend and he KNOWS I am ready. I'm dabbling in a lot of areas. I'm not overwhelmed at ALL. It keeps me busy, excites me and I want J.J. to want or need for NOTHING.  I look back at all I have already accomplished. I am so proud of myself. And the best is yet to come.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Ties

When you are an overachiever, successful and KiND you can’t let people drain and drag you down because they can’t RELATE. It will change your personality because you will be on sets and in rooms that you don’t belong in.  Don’t you think I KNOW that if I was docile, submissive, subservient and STUPID what my life would be LIKE? Who I would of become? Where I would of ended up?  Until RECENTLY I HONESTLY was SCARED to TELL my STORY. I STILL wasn’t READY. But being at Auntie S’s beautiful home last Christmas and her pleading with me to WRITE our STORY with her beautiful, clear Doe looking eyes that mirror my Grendmothers I KNEW I had too. Nana used to look at me the SAME way.  Because my Uncle Sam who has ALWAYS had my BACK throughout my entire life whether it be OVERJOYED I was SKIPPING a GRADE. Helping  me write my business PLAN, letting me drive his BRAND new CAR for my road test and being the FIRST one in my FAMILY including my parents that I told I was pregnant with DAVID. At Uncle

Betty Baisley

 As I write but more importantly LIVE I THANK y’all for letting me sit in the front of the bus and listen to music with y’all when I stilll could hear. Papa used to turn the music up real loud for me too on the way to his customers to make his deliveries.  For keeping me in Ms, Goldstein’s class knowing I may have needed a different environment. For coming to my first day of Junior High school (albeit afterschool WHO does that?) For pressing my hair SO GOOD the first day of Martin. For telling me that Brooklyn Tech was a memory (I got waitlisted and didn’t want to go to Summer School to get in because I didn’t want to go there and NANA and GRANNY knew it! ) To not beat myself up over it. (Mommy is STILL MAD in Heaven❤️) To standing outside Martin with Aunt Colette and Mommy because the girls didn’t like me but the boys did!  The most important lesson I learned was to put ME FIRST! NANA you loved us ALL independently and individually. You made sure we had toiletries, pens to do homework

South Side we OUTSIDE

 I haven’t been bothering ANYONE I stay to myself and take care of my child and my business! I saw two GORGEOUS apartments in NY that wasn’t the right fit for JJ and I. With Aunt Colette and Ms. May because no matter WHAT they have going ON they GOT me! So in ONE WEEK I have set in place the steps to for THE FIRST TIME in my LIFE do exactly WTF I WANNA do! It’s so LIBERATING!  I’m not letting NOBODY stress me OUT! Y’all can HAVE that! I’m JJ’s EVERYTHING! I’m such a GOOD MOTHER! BOTH TIMES! I ask GOD EVERY day to give me the strength to keep moving! Y’all don’t KNOW what I go through!  I don’t care WHO TALK about ME!  I don’t CARE! I always did! I always respect people that don’t respect me! I love who I LOVE! SO! I LISTEN and act RIGHT too! I co-sign on EVERYTHING y’all do! I give the fresh perspective, advice when solicited because WHO AM I TO JUDGE!  I’m so HAPPY and PROUD of myself! My Sister and I are a TAG TEAM! My FAMILY is AMAZING and Nana and Pop Pop didn’t CARE if anyone thou